If there’s one common theme in the Harry Potter series, it’s love. In its many forms, love is a powerful force throughout the series and greatly affects Harry’s own journey and ultimate success against the Dark Lord; Brie and I discuss the power of love all the time in our Harry Potter podcast, the Glittering Bell Jar.
If you’re feeling that powerful force for someone in your life, you might have a mind to ask them a very important question and take a next step in your relationship together. While we never see any proposals in the Harry Potter series, we know they must happen: Bill and Fleur, Remus and Tonks, Hermione and Ron (you just know Hermione planned her own everything!), and Harry and Ginny are just some of the marriages we know happen in the Wizarding World during the series. Since we don’t have any inspiration from the books, I had to come up with my own plan for what the perfect Harry Potter proposal must look like.
Below you’ll find a suggestion for putting together your own engagement proposal based on elements of the Wizarding World and Harry Potter series. Even if you’re not a huge HP fan, this post will guide you to covering it all – from the details of the scene to the ring, ring box, and even a small suggestion on how you might phrase your proposal to show your beloved that you honor and respect their love for Harry Potter as much as you will honor and respect them.
If you’re ready for that next step, read on. And if you put any of these elements into your own proposal, I’d love to hear about it in the comments!
Featured photo courtesy of The Bridal Rose on Etsy.
Set a Magical Scene
When you’re planning a Harry Potter proposal, deciding on the right style and decor is vital, which, in this case, should focus on enhancing the magical vibe.
You want your special someone to be immediately transported to the Wizarding World as soon as they step inside the room. It will be the little details that make all the difference. Small things such as the flower arrangements really add a special touch. I found these Harry Potter flower bouquets on Etsy that I really like. The design resembles a rose flower, with book pages from the HP series as petals. You can also use the roses as flower arrangements to decorate the place.
Next, sub your “Will you marry me?” banner for this Wizards Floating Acceptance Letter banner. Each banner has ten acceptance letters and is approximately 6 feet in length. You can hang several of them on the ceiling to create that magical “flying out of the chimney” effect of the first movie.
I don’t know about you, but Hogwarts’ Great Hall looks like a fantastic place to propose. While it isn’t available for booking, you can still recreate it with these lovely floating candles – or make your own – and cover your entire ceiling with them.
Choose THE Ring
You’ve already come up with the perfect scene for your marriage proposal. Now, you need to find the perfect Harry Potter engagement ring. While most would love to go ring hunting on Diagon Alley, sometimes there’s no time for traveling (especially in Covid times.) Luckily, I’ve found a few wizarding engagement rings with the perfect dash of magic.
- This timeless wizard-inspired ring is perfect for any Harry Potter fan. The craftsmanship is astounding, with diamonds, gold, and platinum.
- The Always Winged Halo Engagement Ring boasts a more dramatic look, with a gorgeous black diamond as the centerpiece, and you can combine it with an emerald, sapphire, or ruby.
- The two rings above feature subtle magical designs. However, this Owl You Need is Love engagement ring screams Harry Potter. The craftsmanship is just exceptional. You won’t believe the amount of detail the ring has, with two owls cradling an oval center stone nestled in a halo of diamonds between outstretched wings.
- Some people swear by the “less is more” philosophy, and this Keeper engagement ring is just about that. The ring features a snitch ball design with a white diamond as a center.
Select a Perfect Ring Box…
A Harry Potter engagement ring is no ordinary ring. So you need a ring box that matches its level of magic. I’ve found the most gorgeous HP-themed ring boxes to elevate your proposal game.
- Words are not enough to describe how beautiful this Golden Snitch Ring Box is. Just look at that picture; it’s clear that it’s the right one for almost every Harry Potter proposal.
- If you’d like something more romantic, I’d go for this delicate wooden ring box. It features Snape’s iconic quote, “After all this time? Always.”
- For yet another delicate wooden box, you can check out this “I solemnly swear I am up to no good” option.
…or a Proposal Book
A proposal book makes total sense when planning a Harry Potter engagement. What could be more magical for a Potterhead than finding an engagement ring within the pages of their favorite book?
- This one features Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone hardcover. Inside, you’ll find a lovely heart-shaped hollow to place the ring. The book has a magnetic closure to ensure everything stays safe until the right moment.
- This HP proposal book has a more evident wedding theme. The interior features a large hollow, with the back page opening a new chapter titled “The Unbreakable Vow.”
Pop the Question
Once you have all the details arranged and the place set, it’s time for the most important part of your Harry Potter proposal: popping the question!
While I obviously can’t tell you exactly how to do this part – it should be special between you and your partner – I want to recommend using the the following line somewhere if you can:
After all this time, I know I will love you… always. (And then maybe follow it up with “will you marry me?”)
This uses one of the most important lines from one of the most powerful love stories in the Harry Potter series, and your future spouse will instantly recognize it and appreciate that you put care into every detail of this magical engagement proposal.
Smile for Magical Engagement Photos
If you really want to put the cherry on top of a very happy day (assuming, naturally, that they say yes!), I recommend arranging a photographer to capture the special moment. After all, you’ve put a ton of energy into setting the scene, and getting all the elements and details just so – you want to record that for posterity!
Here’s what I recommend: Hire a photographer to document the surprise if it makes sense, or to arrive after your proposal to capture the first happy moments of your engagement. If you’re traveling for your proposal – say to London, one of the best HP destinations in the world! – you could hire a Flytographer.
For props in your photos, you could secretly pack their favorite Harry Potter book – and yours too, if they differ. Or you could buy a brand new set for this next chapter of your life together, and use them in your photos as shown above. Don’t forget to bring your wand(s) too. Finally, you might use signs as props, like this one or this one. This all takes some advance planning, but since you’ve put so much energy into planning the perfect Harry Potter engagement, this is just the final step to ensure you have great pictures to commemorate the occasion.
Once you’ve done all of this, your Harry Potter proposal is complete – and hopefully successful. Congratulations! I wish you both the best in your life together. It’s time to celebrate with a bottle of Muggle bubbly, or perhaps a glass of Amortentia to honor your love.
Have any questions about putting together a Harry Potter engagement proposal? Let me know in the comments!