Have you listened to the Harry Potter audiobooks enough times you can quote it? Heard the scores of the movies so many times you dream with them as a soundtrack? Maybe it’s time to find something else to listen to – and that’s where Harry Potter podcasts come in!
As popular as podcasts are, it should come as no surprise that there is a whole niche of podcasts all about Harry Potter and the rest of the Wizarding World. Creative Harry Potter fans like you and me have come up with fascinating ways to discuss the books, films, and more in episodes that will fill your ears with a sound way better than the buzzing of a muffliato spell.
Below you’ll find a comprehensive list of all the Harry Potter podcasts I could find. Read on to discover at least one show you’re sure to love!
This post was originally published in October 2021, and was updated in June 2022.
The Best Harry Potter Podcast…
Okay, I’ll be honest: this is a completely biased choice, but did you know that I started a Harry Potter podcast with my friend, Brie?
Our podcast is called The Glittering Bell Jar, and the premise is that we’re reading the Harry Potter series backward. There are now two seasons, covering Deathly Hallows and Half-Blood Prince. We go backward through each book chapter by chapter, discussing easter eggs, themes, and details we’ve never noticed – as well as a few silly rabbit holes and other tangents here and there.
If you’re curious, I hope you’ll consider checking it out. The buttons under our cover art will take you to each podcast player where you can check out the show.
The Most Popular Harry Potter Podcasts
I wanted to start the list by calling out a few of the Harry Potter podcasts that are universally adored. Each of these has thousands of happy listeners and nearly as many reviews. For each podcast, I’ve included the number of reviews at the time of publishing, so you can get a sense of how popular they are.
- Potterless (7k reviews) – Initially focused on one adult man reading the series for the first time, this podcast now focuses on discussing, dissecting and occasionally dissing the latest news about the Wizarding World.
- Harry Potter and the Sacred Text (6k reviews) – Arguably the most unique Harry Potter podcast on this list, this show examines chapters of the series through the lens of a new theme each week, keeping a sense of spirituality and presence in the conscientious conversation.
- MuggleCast (3.4k reviews) – The best (and only) Harry Potter news podcast, this show will keep you up to date on whatever is happening in the Wizarding World or with JKR.
- Swish & Flick (2k reviews) – Want a podcast that will inspire you to re-read the series? Each week, this show examines a new chapter or section of the books in order.
- The Real Weird Sisters (1.1k reviews) – In addition to breaking down the books by chapter and films by five-minute segment, this show does fascinating multi-part character studies to dive deep into the motives behind each person in the Wizarding World.
Lastly, I wanted to include PotterCast on this list as it is also popular with over 1,300 reviews… but they stopped publishing new episodes regularly a few years ago and only drop occasional new episodes (most recently in April 2022). As the show is one of the oldest podcasts I’ve ever seen, their archives date back to 2005 and are worth a listen if you want to scroll back.
First Read/Reread/Rewatch Podcasts
One of the most popular types of Harry Potter podcasts is the “first read,” “re-read,” or “re-watch” style – where the hosts go back through the Harry Potter books and films and discuss the experience in real-time. As I mentioned, the most popular Harry Potter podcast – Potterless – is this type, and here are a few others:
- First Years – This solo-hosted show does a nice job of covering chapters of the books each week and invites guests on occasionally to mix it up.
- Goblet Of Wine: A Drunken British Harry Potter Podcast – What happens when you mix drinks and magic? Find out in this unstructured, occasionally silly podcast that (roughly) works through one chapter each episode.
- Harry Potter and the Anxious Millennials – This show has three hosts, making for even more lively debate of each chapter of the books, and the films too.
- Just Keep Rowling – This show mixes the re-read and re-watch styles into a a Harry Potter book/movie compare and contrast podcast.
- Muffliato – Working their way through each chapter of the books in a new episode, this show’s two hosts have lively and funny discussions.
- Pottervision – If you love people with British accents discussing your favorite British boy wizard, this show covers a new chapter of his story each week.
- PotterWatch – While I originally hoped this was another HP news podcast (as the name would suggest), this show is working through the books with occasional episodes about other non-HP subjects through a wizarding lens.
- Remember Harry Potter? – Hosted by two Twi-hards (they also host “Remember Twilight?”) who are also Potterheads, this show works through the series chapter-by-chapter.
- Ron and Hermione – Minus the Romance – Tackling two chapters each episode, the hosts of this show analyze and playfully critize their favorite books.
- The Fox and the Foxhound: Love, Marriage, and Harry Potter – “Potterhead married Potter Virgin” starts the beginning of this show description. The married hosts discuss new chapters of the books each week with other topics inspired by their conversations.
- The Gayly Prophet – View the Harry Potter books through a new lens in this intersectional podcast that covers a new chapter every two weeks.
- The High Inquisitors – Using a looser structure, this podcast covers the Harry Potter books in chapters and chunks each episode; they’ve gotten kind of erratic in posting and the focus of the show lately.
- The Potterverse – Working through the books and films, a Gryffindor-Slytherin married couple set aside their differences to discuss why Harry Potter is the greatest series ever written.
- The Quibbler: A Harry Potter Book Club – This popular podcast took an extended break and seems to be moving back toward regular episodes, digging into chapters, sections, and themes of the book.
- The Real Weird Sisters – As mentioned above, this show looks at chapters and bite-sized (five-minute) chunks of the film to pick apart the Harry Potter series in all its glory.
- The Restricted Section – This adults-only podcast has plenty of language that would make Mrs. Weasley blush as they work through the series chapter-by-chapter.
Harry Potter Interpretation Podcasts
If you’re looking to discover and critically analyze ideas from the Harry Potter series outside the books and films, you’ll love this type of Harry Potter podcast. Two of the most popular podcasts Harry Potter and the Sacred Text and Swish & Flick – fall into this category, which shows how fascinating this style is. Here are the podcasts that help make sense of the magic in the Muggle world:
- Accio Politics! – While examining each chapter, the hosts of this show have lively debates about themes that most people overlook including cheating, classism, and trauma.
- Alohomora! – Hosted by staff from MuggleNet, this show examines parts of the Wizarding World and how they all connect together in an ecclectic but interesting format.
- Chatty Potter – This relatively new show (at the time of writing) covers all kinds of Harry Potter topics from fan theories to the Cursed Child to fan films to cross-overs with other universes.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Drunk Podcast – Covering all things Wizarding World with drinks in hands, this podcast covers it all.
- Harry Potter Therapy – Take a look at the Harry Potter series through the lens of psychology and mental health in each week’s episode, co-hosted by a practicing doctor.
- Potternyms – A super-creative show, this podcast examines the words and naming conventions of the Harry Potter series to break down the linguistics.
- Potterversity: A Potter Studies Podcast – Want to head back to Hogwarts? Two professors tackle Harry Potter through an academic lense in this show.
- Tales from Godric’s Hollow – After starting as a first read/re-read show, TFGH has transformed to cover all things Harry Potter including news, fan theories, and hypotheticals.
- We Solemnly Swear – Instead of looking at the Wizarding World by chapter or film, this show picks a topic – the Sorting Hat, MACUSA, common rooms – and dives deep into the topic to explore it further.
- Witch, Please – While this show might look like a re-read podcast, they actually use each book as a framework to discuss themes in that part of the series – and in the Muggle world.
- Wizard Studies: Perusing All Things Potter Podcast – This poodcast covers it all, both thematically and chronologically as they work through themes, topics, and the books/films.
Harry Potter News Podcasts
I found only one podcast exclusively covering breaking news from the Wizarding World – MuggleCast – which I already mentioned as it’s one of the most popular Harry Potter podcasts too. Unlike other shows that might mix in occasional news (like a new book from JKR or the latest Fantastic Beasts film news), MuggleCast is exclusively focused on this type of content. If it’s Harry Potter-related and worth discussing, they cover it!
Harry Potter Fan Fiction Podcasts
I’ll admit it: I was deeeep into Harry Potter fanfics back in the bay, including some authors who went on to write their own books and build their own universes! (Cassandra Clare is my top memory…)
If you love fanfiction too, you’ll be pleased to know there are a few Harry Potter podcasts that play around with fan fiction. The two active podcasts I found are:
Additionally, (40.) Fangasm (formerly Potterotica) has old seasons that dive into HP fanfics if you want to scroll back in their catalog to find them.
Other Wizarding World Podcasts
While I was looking for the best Harry Potter podcasts, I found a few that fit outside the normal categories of other podcasts on this list. Here they are, in case you’re looking for something a bit more ‘out there.’
- Behind the Wand – This brand new podcast is hosted by Flick Miles, who worked as Emma Watson’s double in the Harry Potter films. It’s fascinating!
- Sloppy Sorting Hat – As far as I can tell, this podcast covers everything in the Muggle world through the lens of folks who love the Wizarding World.
- Sorted: Not A Harry Potter Podcast – Curious how your favorite characters from other movies, books, and TV would be sorted? This podcast discusses it all – from Doctor Who to Knives Out to Lord of the Rings.
- SpeakBeasty – I didn’t find any other podcasts about Fantastic Beasts, so I had to include this one on the list!
- Unofficial Universal Orlando Podcast – While not strictly about Harry Potter, the Unofficial Univerrsal Orlando Podcast regularly gives updates on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando. It’s worth subscribing so you don’t miss out, especially around the holidays when they do events and such.
Archived & Defunct Harry Potter Podcasts
To be honest, I was disappointed to learn there are almost as many archived or “defunct” Harry Potter podcasts as there are active ones. In the course of researching and listening to a lot of podcasts about Potter and the gang, I kept track of those ones that are no longer active. Here’s the complete list – along with the date of the most recent episode (as of publishing) in case you still want to check any of them out.
- The Chapter Titles Were So Good (April 3, 2016)
- MuggleNet Academia (December 12, 2016)
- The Tiny Potters (July 9, 2018)
- Harry Potter Minute (July 13, 2018)
- Dear Mr. Potter: A Harry Potter Seminar (July 25, 2018)
- NewtCast: A Harry Potter Podcast (August 15, 2018)
- The Boy Who Hasn’t Lived (September 24, 2018)
- PotterStudy (June 14, 2020)
- Mischief Managed Podcast (August 7, 2020)
- Yer A Wizard Harry: The Harry Potter Bookclub (August 10, 2020)
- Whispers of Hogwarts (February 15, 2021)
- We Have No Strong Feelings About Harry Potter (March 10, 2021)
- The Podcast That Must Not Be Named (March 14, 2021)
- Potter Girlz (March 16, 2021)
- #WizardTeam (April 12, 2021)
- The Three Broomchicks (April 16, 2021)
- S.P.E.W. – Serious Potter in an Everyday World (April 19, 2021)
- Owl Post (May 4, 2021)
- The Time Turner (May 18, 2021)
- Dobbylicious Podcast (May 30, 2021)
- Podtrificus Totalus (May 31, 2021)
- UNspoiled Harry Potter (June 13, 2021)
- Beyond the Veil (June 21, 2021)
- Harry Potter Lexicon Minute (July 11, 2021)
- Hogwarts Radio (September 2, 2021)
- PotterCast (April 15, 2022)
Do you know of any other Harry Potter podcasts that I missed? Have any new shows been released that I haven’t heard yet? Let me know in the comments!